Resolution update: January report card
I’ve learned that when I’m facing a long project, it’s vital for me to break it down into smaller tasks and track progress on those. So, given a list of resolutions and 365 days in which to adhere to them, it makes sense to me to break it down into months and see how I’m doing.
- Strive to always pay full attention to those I’m around.
This one is hard to assess objectively. I think I’m doing a better job of this one, but I still have a lot of progress to make. Overall, I give myself a C.
- Read two books a month (including the free book each month for having a Kindle and Amazon Prime), and sign up for Goodreads.
In January, I finished:
- John Scalzi’s The Last Colony (third book in the Old Man’s War series): Four stars.
- Neil Gaiman’s Odd and The Frost Giants: Two stars.
- John Scalzi’s The Human Division #1: The B-Team: Four stars.
- John Scalzi’s The Human Division #2: Walk the Plank: Two stars.
- John Scalzi’s The Human Division #3: We Only Need the Heads: Four stars.
The first one is a genuine book, but the other four are short stories. (I was also finishing up Stephen King’s Under The Dome from December, which, to be fair, is awful long at 1,092 pages. Three stars.) So I didn’t quite manage to finish two full books, and therefore I have to mark myself down a bit. Let’s call it a B+.
- Run three 5k races and one 10k race, spaced throughout the year.
I plan on doing a race each quarter. For Q1, I have signed up for The Color Run in San Francisco (Candlestick Park) on Saturday, March 2, at 10 am. Anyone want to join me for that 5k?
Status: Incomplete, on track.
- For the other 8 months, set and accomplish a goal each a month in RunKeeper (total distance, speed, etc.). January goal: Run 20 miles.
Nailed it! I finished 24 miles by January 26. I set a new goal at that time to run 30 miles by March 1, and I’m currently at 7 miles with runs on January 28, January 31, and February 1.
I would like to run a total of 300 miles in 2013. That seems doable.
This is probably out of reach but as a stretch goal, but I’d like to be running 3 miles in 21 minutes by the end of year.
- Keep up with the Fitbit by walking at least 10k steps a day (about 5 miles) — accomplish this 28 days each month.
In January, Fitbit shows that I walked a total of 403,821 steps, with an average of 13,026 per day, a most active day of 21,949, and a least active day of 9,677. I only missed the 10k goal once.
I may not be top of my leaderboard (Louis, Kelly & Jeff, and Jenny have that honor), but I’m proud of myself for being active each day.
- Each week, have six workouts: two runs, and four short sessions of calisthenics/abs/weightlifting.
I started out strong, with some kind of workout for all but one day from the 1st to the 24th, but then I missed a few days. Altogether, I had 12 runs in January, and 11 calisthenics/abs workouts, but I only lifted weights 5 times. The first two were on track or above goal, but I can do better.
I’ve found it’s hard for me to think about this and track it by week. Instead, I’ll aim to have have at least 9 runs, 9 calisthenics/abs workouts, and 9 weightlifting sessions per month.
- After my dental surgery in December, the surgeon commanded me to floss twice daily. So shall I do.
I’m not diligently tracking this (there are some things Fitbit and Runkeeper cannot do, after all), but I am pretty sure I flossed at least once each day, and flossed twice about half the time (and flossed thrice some of the time). It’s not quite realistic to floss twice every day, but I should have thought about before setting a resolution.
- Drink more water, coffee, and tea; continue with the elimination I started last year of soda/diet soda/juice. (One soda or juice drink a week is acceptable.)
Not long ago I was drinking 2-3 diet sodas a day. I had exactly one soda in January (a diet Doctor Pepper). Excluding the occasional beer at poker and some wine on one night, I drank only water and coffee and that one soda.
- By year’s end, eliminate non-dairy sweeteners (both sugar and artificial) from the coffee I drink.
This will be tough. I’m not getting much closer to enjoying black coffee yet. I can manage lattes, probably. I need to work more on this one.
Status: Incomplete, not yet on track
- Start tracking my spending more closely with Mint.
Complete. And what I found was scary. Too much inessential spending. Done, but exposed a lot that I need to improve.
- Start writing again: Write at least one short story this year, and post to this blog at least once a month.
Well, these resolution posts may not be the most fascinating, but at least I’m posting.
I did complete a short story in January, but it doesn’t really count since I’m not willing to share it openly.