Shift+F3: Change Case in Word and PowerPoint

Posted in Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint by estephen on August 27th, 2007

Select some text in Word or PowerPoint, then press Shift+F3. It’ll toggle between three possibilities for text capitalization:

• Initial Letter Case
  • ALL CAPS CASE
  • lower case

So, if you have selected some text like “siX MILlion Dollar mAn” each time you press Shift+F3 you’ll see it switch between “SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN” and “six million dollar man” and “Six Million Dollar Man”.

47 Responses to 'Shift+F3: Change Case in Word and PowerPoint'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Shift+F3: Change Case in Word and PowerPoint'.

1. Twodeadpoets said,

on August 28th, 2007 at 1:58 pm

Doesn’t work for me. Is there a setting I should “enable” so that it does work?

2. NW Guy said,

on August 28th, 2007 at 2:14 pm

I tried this and it worked like a charm for me. Did you remember to highlight the section of text that you wanted this to impact?

on August 28th, 2007 at 4:52 pm

Twodeadpoets (which two, I wonder?), what version of Microsoft Word are you using?

4. JoeyE said,

on August 28th, 2007 at 5:02 pm

The auto capitalization plagues me!
    My company’s name is spelled in all lowercase letters.
    Any idea on how to change the one word so that it never auto capitalizes at the beginning of a sentence?

5. pyko said,

on August 28th, 2007 at 7:59 pm

Nice shortcut - works fine for me in Word 03 :) Another handy shortcut is “Ctrl+Shift+K” which makes the text small caps - great for titles/headings.

6. medicmaestro said,

on August 28th, 2007 at 9:45 pm

Twodeadpoets,

if you’re on a laptop, hold down the fn key as well (fn+shift+F3)

7. Twodeadpoets said,

on August 29th, 2007 at 1:01 am

Finally got it to work… thanks for all the suggestion. My keyboard is newish and has a “Fn” lock key. I realized it needed to be active before the shortcut worked.

Cheers to all!

TDP

PS: estephen, the two dead ones (jk & dc)

8. Emad Ibrahim said,

on August 29th, 2007 at 8:33 am

Intersting shortcut. i am a big fan of shortcuts and actually created a site dedicated to keyboard shortcuts at http://www.kbshortcuts.com

Thanks

9. on August 29th, 2007 at 10:55 pm

[…] Source  […]

on August 30th, 2007 at 9:24 am

JoeyD, I’d suggest you look into Word’s “AutoCorrect” feature (under the Tools menu), then disable the feature that capitalizes at the beginning of the sentence.

11. Linda said,

on January 4th, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Shift F3 is great, but in the old MS version you were able to Title Case a sentence. Like I’m Writing This Sentance, Every Word First Letter Is Caps. Can anyone help with this? It was called Title Case!! I NEED HELP! It’s driving me batty.

on January 10th, 2008 at 12:58 am

Linda, that’s the same as what I call “Initial Letter Case” — you can do that with Shift+F3 but only if there is no punctuation at the end of what you have selected.

13. Van Neie said,

on February 18th, 2008 at 1:48 pm

My wife uses MS Works and had a story typed in all caps. When I copied it to Word and went through the Toggle F-3 sequence to arrive at “capitalize initial letter of sentence” it capitalized only the initial letter of the sentence(s) inside the paragraph, not the opening sentence of the paragraph.. By trying out some text from other sources, it was no problem. Is there some idiosyncrasy of Works that causes this to happen?

14. humbug said,

on March 20th, 2008 at 11:30 pm

Shouldn’t it read ‘…you’ll see it switch between … and “Six Million Dollar Man”.’ because there is no punctuation in it? (The Original only has the first “S” a capital).

15. John said,

on May 27th, 2008 at 11:44 am

I’ve been using the Shift F3 shortcut for years and find it extremely useful, especially because some people still use all caps, as if they were still programming on a 1980’s-era DOS machine, and when you copy that text, Shift F3 allows you to convert it quickly into something less primitive. :-)

However, this feature quit working for me in Word 2007. As one of the previous posters indicated, the F-Lock key will disable the feature. I know that from past experience and it was one of the first things I investigated, but that is not what is causing the problem in my case. I suspect that I disabled it accidentally by changing the configuration of the AutoCorrect settings, or by some similar goof up, but so far I have not been able to figure out what I did to turn it off.

16. John said,

on May 27th, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Postscript. Banging on the various flavors and colors of “Normal” style finally restored this functionality. I suspect there is a Word bug in here somewhere, but I would not know how to repro it. :-(

17. Anne-Marie said,

on June 9th, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Using OS 10.4 on an iMac this toggle works through fn+SHIFT+F3

on June 19th, 2008 at 12:27 am

humbug, you’re right — I’ve corrected the article. Thanks!

on June 19th, 2008 at 12:28 am

John, thanks for the update, and sorry you had trouble. Word definitely has its quirks.

on June 19th, 2008 at 12:28 am

Anne-Marie, thanks for letting me know! I need to spend some time on a Mac, it’s been too long.

21. dws said,

on October 16th, 2008 at 4:48 pm

this feature used to work great and I loved it - BUT with my new macbook - F3 makes all open applications visible and no longer works in MS word… lame!

22. on November 4th, 2008 at 11:58 pm

[…] http://www.zeigen.com/shortcuts/2007/08/27/change-case/ This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 at 2:16 am and is filed under Office . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. […]

23. on November 6th, 2008 at 3:02 am

[…] each time you press Shift+F3 you’ll see it switch between “I LOVES ME SOME ASKTHEADMIN” and “i loves me some asktheadmin” and “I loves me some asktheadmin”. However! If you add some punctuation (like a period) at the end of what’s selected, instead of using Initial Letter Case, it’ll only capitalize the first letter of the sentence. So “I wiN!” will toggle between “I WIN!” and “i win!” and “I win!” (and not ever show “I Win!”). [Via Zeigen] _TheHatesCapsAdmiN_ Related Posts […]

24. Kelly said,

on January 12th, 2009 at 10:06 am

Anyone know what the shortcut would be on a Mac running Leopard and I guess Word 2008? I used to be a PC user and love this shortcut but cannot find the toggle case for Word on this new computer. HELP!?!?

25. Vera said,

on February 27th, 2009 at 2:11 am

Anne-Marie, thank you so much for the tip!!! I’ve been searching for this combination, even trying my untalented hands on installing macros and such. You’ve made my day! Week! Month! Yippieh!

26. Jessica said,

on April 21st, 2009 at 7:00 am

If you would like to do title case, where Every First Letter Will Be Capitalized, go to Format > Change Case… and selet Title Case.

27. rebecca said,

on August 4th, 2009 at 2:09 am

Can someone please tell me if there is any way of Initial Capitalising or Capitalising a sentence in Mail on MacBook? The solutions above work in Word but not Mail. Please help

28. Howard said,

on March 14th, 2010 at 10:13 am

Shift + F3 doewsn’t seem to work in Office 2007 running under Windows 7. Is there another trick?

29. Hugh said,

on April 30th, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Howard, it’s working for me on O2k7 and Win7… Remember you need to select the text; you can’t just place the cursor within a block of text or a sentence.

30. Rustam said,

on May 17th, 2010 at 11:03 am

in O2007 U go to OfficeGlobe->Word Options->Customize, Change a value “Choose Commands from” 2 “All Comands” , and find “Aa Change Case…” shortcut. Add it 2 the Quick Access Toolbar. Done.

Next to the Office Globe U now can see Aa… shortcut which let U choose from :
    - Sentence case
    - lowercase
    - UPPERCASE
    - Capitalize Each Word
    - tOGGLE cASE

in old 2003 way, no punctuation marks problem.

31. steveg said,

on July 14th, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Tnx, looked at all the tips but my keyboard shortcut “SHIFT+F3″ for Change Case STILL won’t work. Cld it be that i’m using MWword 2007 with an Addintool for Classic Menu or something else..?

32. Mohammad said,

on October 15th, 2010 at 12:51 am

How can I change this shortcut? I mean that I want to do this but with another shortcut key like F3 only.

Thanks a lot.

33. Great Shortcut said,

on November 3rd, 2010 at 7:43 am

Thanks. This worked in my Word Doc

34. kunal said,

on April 25th, 2011 at 8:49 am

hey i am not able to convert capitals into lower case in some cases, y is it so? plz reply asap.. i need ur help.. in some words/ cases , it works..?

35. Razibul Hassan said,

on May 7th, 2011 at 10:18 pm

That’s a good one. Thx for the tip. It will definitely save times for those who frequently need to change case of the text while editing.
    However for a comprehensive list for all the handy short cut visit the official Microsoft website : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290938

Have fun !!!

36. Razibul Hassan said,

on July 26th, 2011 at 9:20 am

The following are some of the very handy sort-cut keys for quick formatting or managing a MS word file:

All Caps Lock CTRL+SHIFT+A
    Apply Heading1 ALT+CTRL+1
    Bookmark CTRL+SHIFT+F5
    Date Field ALT+SHIFT+D
    Dictionary ALT+SHIFT+F7
    Double Underline CTRL+SHIFT+D
    Next Misspelling ALT+F7
    Hyperlink CTRL+K
    Subscript CTRL+=
    Superscript CTRL+SHIFT+=

37. Darshana said,

on September 13th, 2011 at 11:52 pm

38. timmy said,

on September 20th, 2011 at 10:28 am

I know I don’t share your Word religion, I’m the antichrist… but remember you should share your love even with non-believers :)

Does anyone know of similar hotkeys to caps lock and the other ones you’re discussing that work in all windows text editing, and not just Word ? (I use notepad, wordpad, openoffice, web forums… not to mention file renaming :) ).

Or alternatively, if anyone can recommend some good, low-cpu-usage downloadable tool that provides multiple such functionally *all across the board* in windows 7… like:
    - multiple clip board
    - advanced text editing features (change upper\lower case, select blocks of text in the middle of text (rectangular, not bound to start and end of every line, (this was common in Amiga text editors)), etcetera.
    - other text editing and hotkey stuff

(there has to exist one! But every time I search for tools like that I end up with 100 apps that are free but will cost you 40 bucks to unlock after it’s been installed along with a dozen useless toolbars + some spyware.

i guess AutoHotkey or other third-party auto-complete/auto-replace programs could have, or be set up to have, such functionality. I only did extremely simple scripting in AutoHotkey and my scripts lagged a lot.

Any ideas for anything helpful would be … helpful…! And highly appreciated :) if anyone replies, plz leave my a note at (”visualpost” is the first part of my adress at google’s well-known e-mail service..)

39. on September 29th, 2011 at 11:47 pm

All About Mail…

[…]Windows Keyboard Shortcuts » Shift+F3: Change Case in Word and PowerPoint[…]…

40. pankaj said,

on October 31st, 2011 at 6:37 am

ctrl+A for select all
    ctrl+C for copy
    ctrl+V for paste

41. on January 3rd, 2012 at 11:55 pm

@Razibul Hassan:Thanks alot:)

42. Jenny said,

on January 5th, 2012 at 10:52 am

Timmy,
    There are two levels of keyboard shortcuts: Windows and Application.
    Windows level works for all applications. So, when you push the ‘a’ key, you get a letter a, but when you Shift+a you get A.
    Application level allows the specific program to modify that behavior and it is usually set up so as not to conflict with the Windows level keys. So Ctrl+a usually (usually!) means ’select all’, but only if the programmer included that one.

In short, you can’t do the same keys in all editors. The programmers were all different and used different keys.

43. Jenny said,

on January 5th, 2012 at 10:54 am

Perhaps someone can help with this question.
    I want to define case within a style.

For example, let’s create a style called “First Word” and have it automatically set the case to “Capitalaze Each Word” and small caps.

Any thoughts?

44. John Taylor said,

on June 8th, 2012 at 3:02 pm

the F-lock key enables the Shift-F3 keyboard command to cap letters, words or phrases.

45. on January 17th, 2013 at 6:41 pm

[…] Toggle the case of any selected text in Microsoft Office applications between all lowercase, all uppercase or smart initial letter capitalisation with the Shift-F3 keyboard shortcut. This shortcut isn’t everday-useful for most of us, but if you do a lot of formatting in Word—especially from all lowercase emails or the like—the smart first letter capitalisation is awesome. If your text ends with punctuation, the shortcut will recognize it as a sentence and capitalise only the first letter of the sentence. The only thing that would put this over the top would be support for capitalising proper names that are already in the Office dictionary (you’ll still need to proof for missed capitalisations), but in all it’s potentially a very handy shortcut. Works in any MS Office app, Windows or Mac. Shift+F3: Change Case in Word and PowerPoint [Windows Keyboard Shortcut of the Day] […]

46. David said,

on December 13th, 2013 at 10:47 am

One problem I run across every so often is that this shortcut will not capitalize the first letter of each word if a list ends each line with a hard paragraph. By doing a search and replace, searching for ^p and replacing with ^l, that fixed the problem.

47. Alex Larkin said,

on May 25th, 2014 at 7:07 pm

THANK YOU! For years I have wondered why sometimes I could get initial letter case, and sometimes not. Now I know the key- no punctuation!