Just recently I received a new laptop, and found that by default, the keyboard shortcuts in menus weren’t displayed.
This is the enemy of all keyboard users: An option hidden away in the Display settings that hides the underlined letters telling you what keys you can press. Boo on Microsoft for making this a default.
To enable keyboard shortcut underlining, follow these steps:
- Hit Windows+D to show the desktop.
- Press Shift+F10 to show the shortcut menu.
- Press up arrow to get to the bottom menu item, Properties, then press Enter to select it.
- Press Ctrl+Tab to change tabs three times, until the Appearance tab appears.
- Press Alt+E to hit the Effects button.
- Deselect the last item by pressing H.
- Press Enter twice to close the dialog boxes.