- Know the names and locations of special keys: Space Bar, Tab, Enter, Shift, Ctrl, Alt, Esc, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn (learn more here).
- Be comfortable with the arrow keys (up, down, left, right).
- Know the difference between Function keys (across the top of the keyboard — such as F1, F2, F12) vs. your laptop’s Fn key.
- X+Y means hold down the X key and then press the y key. Examples: Ctrl+C, Shift+F10, Ctrl+Alt+N
X+Y, Z means hold down X, press y, let go of X, press z. Example: Alt+F, S
There’s a big difference between “Alt+Space Bar” versus “Alt, Space Bar”:
- “Alt+Space Bar” means hold down the Alt key, and keep holding it down until you hit the Space Bar, then let go of both.
- “Alt, Space Bar” means hit the Alt key, let go, and then hit the Space Bar, and let go.